On 2/2/18 1:25 AM, L. David Baron wrote:

>>> Fyi, I sent feedback before TPAC (all of which was addressed, including
>>> dropping HTTP Payments, which can be addressed by the Fetch API). I’m
>>> personally supportive of current direction and the reduced work items on
>>> which the group is focused on. This includes incrementally supporting the
>>> whole gamut of payment systems: from credit cards, tokenized payments, to
>>> crypto currencies.
>>>
>>> I’d personally like to see Mozilla continue to support the working group,
>>> particularly as we continue to open up (and see continued innovation in)
>>> the payments ecosystems over the next 5-10 years.
>>
>> Overall I agree with Marcos.
>>
>> There are two aspects of the charter that could use some clarification.
>>
>> §1.2 states that the WG might develop "an encryption module for one or
>> more payment methods"; however, WG members do not necessarily have the
>> expertise to do this work. At the least, it would be helpful to mention
>> the parties (e.g., Web Cryptography WG or Web Application Security WG)
>> that will be consulted to ensure the security of any such encryption module.
>>
>> §1.3 suggests that work might happen around "the relationship of Payment
>> Request API to EMVCo 3D Secure" (and in fact a 3DS Task Force has been
>> spun up). My very early impression is that such work might involve
>> two-factor authentication methods that do not use a standardized
>> technology such as what's being developed within the Web Authentication
>> Working Group. If the outcome is that browsers need to support both a
>> 3DS method and a Web Auth method, I would be concerned about duplication
>> of effort, architectural confusion, and differential security profiles.
>> I'd prefer it if we could nudge the WG and W3C in the direction of
>> settling on one method for user identification and authentication.
>
> So how does the following response to the charter sound:
>
> (X)  suggests changes to this Charter, but supports the proposal
>      whether or not the changes are adopted (your details below).
>
> Comments (which are just a slightly reworded version of Peter's
> above):
>
> §1.2 states that the WG might develop "an encryption module for one or
> more payment methods"; however, WG members do not necessarily have the
> expertise to do this work. At the least, it would be helpful to mention
> the parties (e.g., Web Cryptography WG or Web Application Security WG)
> that will be consulted to ensure the security of any such encryption module.
>
> §1.3 suggests that work might happen around "the relationship of Payment
> Request API to EMVCo 3D Secure" (and in fact a 3DS Task Force has been
> spun up). Our very early impression is that such work might involve
> two-factor authentication methods that do not use a standardized
> technology such as what's being developed within the Web Authentication
> Working Group. If the outcome is that browsers need to support both a
> 3DS method and a Web Auth method, we would be concerned about duplication
> [...]

What you have seems fine (modulo s/Web Auth/Web Authentcation/). The
first comment is just housekeeping, whereas the second comment is
substantive and concerning. Phrasing it as a formal objection might
result in greater attention to the seemingly significant overlap. I'd be
curious what other folks here think (Marcos, Tantek, Anne, etc.).

Peter