On Wed, Mar 07, 2018 at 02:08:59PM +1100, Nicholas Nethercote wrote:
Hi,

I've been doing a lot of work to improve libpref recently, and there is
more in the pipeline. I've written a brief roadmap that might be of
interest to people: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/PrefsOverhaul

I'd be happy to hear feedback, via this list or other means. Thanks.

Related to this (and particularly in the light of bug 1425613), I've been thinking it's about time to migrate the preference service bindings to WebIDL, and kill the XPIDL/XPCOM bindings altogether.

The XPC overhead on the JS side is pretty bad given how much we use the service, and a WebIDL implementation would make it easier to add certain optimizations (like native lazy pref getters) on top of the ones we'd automatically get from the conversion.

From the native side, accessing the pref service via
do_GetService adds a bunch of get service overhead, and then a bunch of virtual call overhead for each method call. We do have already have a non-virtual API. We should just make that the only option.