On Thu, Mar 8, 2018, at 7:41 PM, Bobby Holley wrote:
> (C) The API uses complex arguments like promises that XPIDL doesn't handle
> in a nice way.

I think this is an understated point. WebIDL was designed explicitly to allow
expressing the semantics of JS APIs, where XPIDL is some arbitrary set of
things designed by folks at Netscape a long time ago. Almost any non-trivial
API will wind up being worse in XPIDL (and the C++ implementation side is worse
as well).

I agree that an XPConnect-alike supporting WebIDL semantics would be a lot of
work, but I also think that asking developers to implement chrome interfaces
with XPIDL is pretty lousy.

-Ted