Nicholas Nethercote <mailto:n.netherc...@gmail.com>
2018 March 9 at 20:02

What's your definition of XPCOM?
This is basically what I'm asking Kris. I define it as the system that Firefox uses to make intra- and inter-language calls between C++ and JS via XPIDL and XPConnect. I'm interested in what else it provides that makes it so indispensable.

Look in xpcom/, there is a ton of stuff in
there that is unrelated to XPIDL...
Indeed, but that doesn't tell me how much of XPCOM would remain essential to Firefox if we no longer used XPIDL.

For example, XPCOM supports component registration and overriding at runtime. But it isn't clear that Firefox needs those features, now that it no longer supports XUL extensions (unless perhaps for system extensions).

And xpcom/ contains a ton of stuff, as you say. But it isn't clear how much of it is core to XPCOM and how much just happens to live in that directory.

I'm not playing the devil's advocate. I'm genuinely curious about the extent of XPCOM's feature set (and how well it aligns with Firefox's current requirements).

-myk