It appears that currently we allow atomicizing invalid UTF-16 string,
which are impossible to look up by UTF-8 key and we don't allow
atomicizing invalid UTF-8.

I need to change some things in this area in response to changing
error handling of UTF-8 to UTF-16 XPCOM string conversions to be more
secure, so I want to check if I should change things a bit more.

I can well imagine that the current state is exactly what we want:
Bogosity on the UTF-16 side round-trips and bogus UTF-8 doesn't
normally reach the atom machinery.

Am I correct in assuming we don't want changes here?

(One imaginable change would be replacing invalid sequences in both
UTF-16 and UTF-8 with U+FFFD and then atomicizing the result.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@hsivonen.fi