My thanks to everyone who had commented on this so far. I’m replying to
your questions and comments in this email so that we don’t have a threading
catastrophe.

First, several of you mentioned the typo where I wrote qa-verify when the
flag is qe-verify. The policy document has the correct flag name.

Second, this is not process for the sake of process, but so that Program
and Release Management, PI, and engineering leadership can quickly assess
what is happening with features.

Please note that Program / Release Management did not come up with this
policy on our own.  The Firefox engineering teams were simultaneously
looking to create a similar policy to further alleviate releases where a
feature is inadvertently not tested or enabled.  A recent item was the
Retained Display list not be turned on.

There’s also some question about what qe-verify means. It can be requested
by anyone with editbugs and granted by anyone with editbugs. And `+` does
not mean the bug is verified, but that QA will verify the the fix and set
the bug’s resolution to VERIFIED. I’ve updated that in the document (at
https://github.com/mozilla/bug-handling/commit/9b461160df743262aa6ecb7e6a033872ce393ff1
).

Liz Henry points out we should be clear in the policy what VERIFIED means
here for testing and sign-off.

:mossop asked about the Trello board, it’s at
https://trello.com/b/8k1hT2vh/firefox (if you need access, please ask
:elan) and we use the board to track features of note so that we know to
communicate them through release notes and other channels. Since we’re
using a flag to indicate features behind a pref, we can use queries to
indicate features that need to go on that board.

Nick Alexander mentioned that features which interact with the OS, mobile
OSes (Android and iOS) are all or nothing. This policy does not mean you
must release behind a pref. But if you are releasing a feature that depends
on a change to your OS, the bug for the feature must note that. That sort
of change may not be atomic in nature, so early warning and notification of
Project and Release Management, and PI is important.

Jared Wein asked in the thread; MattN, and Mark Banner asked in Issues (
https://github.com/mozilla/bug-handling/issues/4, and
https://github.com/mozilla/bug-handling/issues/4) about feature work
involving large numbers of bugs associated with a [meta] bug. Mark’s
suggestion where the flag is associated with the meta bug, but not the
dependent bugs is most likely the way to go.

Ritu Kothari and D. Baron asked about managing features across release
trains. The behind-pref may need to be a status flag instead of a simple
flag since the target version field only indicates when a bug landed in M-C
and bugs supporting a feature may land across multiple releases. I’ve
started a discussion of this at
https://github.com/mozilla/bug-handling/issues/5.

Several of you note that we’ve overloaded preferences. And perhaps we
should think about releasing features under a feature flag system. I think
that would afford us a way to move features toggling to the pref panes
(even if we keep feature flags in a namespaced area in prefs.)

Finally, I need to talk more with Shield/Normandy about this and make sure
I’m not sabotaging you.

Thank you all for your feedback and for helping us ship high quality code.

— Emma