>>> If you could extend the reasons on the why it would allow us to help you.
>>>
>>> What is your ultimate objective? why do you think you need to open a
>>> file inside webrtc core?
>
>> We are modifying the webrtc library to use another transport protocol (based
>> on ICN).
>> The problem is that in this preliminary phase we have configure the socket
>> using static parameters inside a file.
>> The new socket is implemented in a library that communicates via TCP with an
>> external daemon.
>> I want to use IPC, but I don’t have examples about this approach.
>
> If this is just for personal experimentation, you can locally disable
> the sandbox via about:config, and directly (locally) modify the
> media/mtransport code to use your transport protocol instead of UDP via
> IPC to the SocketTransportThread in the main process.

Besides the sandbox you might want to start your locally compiled Firefox with
‘./mach run —disable-e10s’, because then it will use this networking code
https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/source/media/mtransport/nr_socket_prsock.h#151

<https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/source/media/mtransport/nr_socket_prsock.h#151>
rather then the IPC based code here
https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/source/media/mtransport/nr_socket_prsock.h#214

<https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/source/media/mtransport/nr_socket_prsock.h#214>

> Note that there's a lot of code that implements ICE to determine what
> ports are open, etc.  That may complicate what you're doing.
>
> If you want to do more than personal/local experimentation, much more
> extensive discussions and work would be required.

If you are part of the IRTF research group and you are going to be at the
Montreal meeting it might be the easiest to find me (or someone else from
Mozilla) to discuss this in person.

Best
  Nils Ohlmeier