On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 10:27:13PM +0200, Gabriele Svelto wrote:
On 12/07/2018 22:19, Kris Maglione wrote:
I've actually been thinking on filing a bug to do something similar, to
measure cumulative effects of excess padding in certain types since I
began looking into bug 1460674, and Sylvestre mentioned that
clang-analyzer can generate reports on excess padding.

I've encountered at least one structure where a boolean flag is 64-bits
in size on 64-bit builds. If we really want to go to the last mile we
might want to also evaluate things like tagged pointers; there's
probably some KiB's to be saved there too.

I actually have a patch sitting around with helpers to make it super easy to use smart pointers as tagged pointers :) I never wound up putting it up for review, since my original use case went away, but it you can think of any specific cases where it would be useful, I'd be happy to try and get it landed.