On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 02:10:54PM -0700, Brendan Dahl wrote:
This is hopefully the last thing you’ll ever hear about XUL overlays as
they have now been completely removed from Firefox[1].

\o/ Thank you to everyone who was involved in this!

Removing overlays cut around 3.5K lines of code from Firefox and in my
opinion made understanding which resources get loaded into which documents
easier to reason about

I completely agree. I can't count the number of times I've made a change in one place that seemed obviously sound, only to have it break on try because some completely unrelated piece of code loads a special overlay into the window only on OS-X.