On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 07:28:26PM -0400, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 5:39 AM Nicholas Nethercote <n.netherc...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Bug 1477627 converted a hot hash table from PLDHashTable to
mozilla::HashSet and appears to have sped up cycle collection in some cases
by 7%. If you know of another PLDHashTable that is hot, it might be worth
converting it to mozilla::HashTable.

Do you have any good suggestions of how to find such candidates?  One thing
that came to my mind was that the BHR data may be a useful source of
insight for this...  <
https://arewesmoothyet.com/?category=all&durationSpec=512_2048&invertCallstack&mode=explore&payloadID=c8e925752fc94f78af9349665aad14c7&search=PLDHashTable%3A%3ASearchTable&thread=0>
(for content processes, for example) suggests a few hashtables based on a
very quick skimming which aren't surprising to me (things like
nsHTMLDocument::mIdentifierMap, some XPCOM component manager hashtables,
memory reporter hashtables, some font hashtables, the preferences
hashtable, sEventListenerManagersHash, mJSHolderMap, etc.

Note I'm planning to replace most of the component manager hashtables with static hashtables (bug 1478124), so those probably aren't great candidates just yet.