Yes, that's part of it. Further, now that Edge has shipped it we can
cause there to be a majority of vendors supporting it. Having WebP
supported by all of the browsers changes the weight we put on the
different advantages and disadvantages. For example, Firefox
supporting WebP will allow now allow web authors to have lossy
compressed images with transparency (by using WebP with Chrome, Edge,
Firefox and JPEG2000 with Safari)

-Jeff