I've got some gecko checkouts set in debug mode that I often have to
rebuild, meaning their test profile may be removed/regenerated at times.
Bringing up a new firefox profile with the default about:home and privacy
warnings can take a while. Thanks to some help from nalexander in #build,
I've figured out how to make it so new profiles only come up with a single
about:blank tab. This method requires using './mach run' for starting the
instance.

If you create a machrc file in ~/.mozbuild like so

mach settings > ~/.mozbuild/machrc
There will be a [runprefs] block in there that is used whenever 'mach
run' is used to start the browser.

Adding the following prefs turns off all new profile about:home loads
and just starts the browser with about:blank:

[runprefs]
browser.startup.blankWindow=true
browser.newtabpage.enabled=false
browser.startup.firstrunSkipsHomepage=true
browser.startup.homepage=about:blank
datareporting.policy.dataSubmissionPolicyBypassNotification=true