>I think sudo will let you have symbolicated kernel stacks which can be handy.

$ sudo perf record ./firefox .... has a problem:
"Running Nightly as root in a regular user's session is not supported."
You can work around this with either:

$ sudo perf record -g -F 999 -p <pid of process>
(this only gets one process of firefox's N processes, though) or

$ sudo perf record -g -F 999 sudo -u <user> ./firefox -P whatever -no-remote

However: you may find that the extra detail doesn't help much.

Normally, I just use user-space profiling:

$ perf record -g -F 999 ./firefox -P my-profile -no-remote
$ perf script -F +pid > /tmp/firefox.perf

Note that you'll want /proc/sys/kernel/perf_event_paranoid to be 1 (or
less).
To persist across reboots:
sudo sh -c 'echo kernel.perf_event_paranoid=1 >> /etc/sysctl.d/99.local.conf'
(or add to /etc/sysctl.conf, etc - whatever is correct for your system)

--
Randell Jesup, Mozilla Corp
remove "news" for personal email