On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 11:23 AM Cameron McCormack <c...@mcc.id.au> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 10, 2019, at 12:38 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> > A (non-changed) part of the charter says under SVG2: "This
> > specification updates SVG 1.1 to include HTML5-compatible parsing". Is
> > that in reference to
> > https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/single-page.html#embedded-HTMLElements or
> > something else? I.e. does it mean the SVG WG wants to change the HTML
> > parsing algorithm to put <video> and <audio> with
> > non-integration-point SVG parent into the HTML namespace in the HTML
> > parser?
>
> I see the note in that section you link that says:
>
> > Currently, within an SVG subtree, these tagnames are not recognized by the
> > HTML parser to
> > be HTML-namespaced elements, although this may change in the future.
> > Therefore, in order
> > to include these elements within SVG, one of the following must be used:
>
> The "this may change in the future" part sounds like someone thought that it
> might be the case in the future.  Saying that SVG 2 "includes
> HTML5-compatible parsing" is a bit odd, though, since that behavior is
> defined in the HTML spec.  In any case, given the group's intended focus on
> stabilizing and documenting what is currently implemented and interoperable,
> I doubt that making such a change would be in scope.

Thanks. I think it would be prudent for Mozilla to request that "
updates SVG 1.1 to include HTML5-compatible parsing," be struck from
the charter, so that changes to the HTML parsing algorithm can't be
justified using an argument from a charter that we approved.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@mozilla.com