>-no-remote and -new-instance still exist. Right now they do the same thing,
>they make Firefox not look for existing instances and not listen for
>remoting from future instances. They are pretty pointless now though, the
>only case where they would have an effect is when a second instance is
>trying to use a profile that is already used by an existing instance ... at
>which point we'll show the profile locked dialog on startup and refuse to
>startup anyway.
[snip]
>The other thing that might be confusing is that the version or install of
>Firefox you try to launch doesn't affect which version or install of
>Firefox you might end up remoting to. This has always been the case on
>Windows and normally the case on Linux, unless you pass an extra command
>line argument though so I'm not too concerned here.

-no-remote is still quite useful when debugging; if I build in one of my
dev repos, and then ./firefox -P test -no-remote, it will warn me if I
have another instance using that profile (quite possibly from a
different repo/directory) instead of silents loading it in that other
instance - which can be very confusing if you're trying to test a fix.
("I *swear* I made that change; why didn't it take?")

>Hopefully this all makes sense. I'd like to hear if folks think that this
>is the wrong way to support this and if you spot any issues with it that I
>haven't.

Thanks for doing this; the current system kinda fell out of various
needs mostly around 20+ years ago and hadn't been revisted since then
really.

--
Randell Jesup, Mozilla Corp
remove "news" for personal email