On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 1:03 PM Emilio Cobos Álvarez <emi...@crisal.io>
wrote:

> On 01/04/2019 21:40, Bobby Holley wrote:
> > My (possibly outdated) understanding is that the sccache distributed
> > compilation stuff is restricted to the build machines we control.
> Naively,
> > I'm not sure there's a secure way to have machines in the wild contribute
> > build artifacts, given the risk of malicious code.
> >
> > It seems plausible that we could at least allow read-only access to the
> > artifacts generated by the build machines, but that would presumably only
> > be useful if the developer's system configuration exactly matched that of
> > the build machine.
>
> Oh, the setup I was thinking of would be similar to how icecc works now,
> on a local network. So, for example, N developers in the Berlin office
> sharing a scheduler and build resources in the same network.
>
> I'm not 100% sure whether the distributed compilation part of sccache is
> only about sharing compilation artifacts, or also compiling stuff in
> remote machines (like icecc does), or both, but afaik even in a local
> network it could still be a pretty nice build-time / productivity
> improvement.

It does distribute compilation tasks to remote hosts.  At this time those
hosts must be running Linux (for the `bubblewrap` chroot-like package).
Months ago I configured this, following
https://github.com/mozilla/sccache/blob/master/docs/DistributedQuickstart.md,
for a Linux host and a macOS device.  Setting up the toolchains was
frustrating but do-able.  I did not get this working on the YVR office
build monster, just 'cuz I don't do a lot of native compilation.

Nick