On 19/08/2019 22:55, Dave Townsend wrote:
For a couple of weeks now I've seen that any attempt to build Firefox, even
incremental builds seem to rebuild an awful lot of rust code. I found this
in the source which seems to suggest why:
https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/source/config/makefiles/rust.mk#238.
But, this means that now an incremental build with a couple of code change
that have no impact on rust is taking upwards of 4 minutes to complete in
comparison to around 40 seconds, and the log file is full of cargo output.
I've heard similar comments from other developers.

This is a pretty big increase in the time to compile and test and is really
slowing down my work. Is there any way we can avoid this?

Running `cargo build` every time makes sense to me, for the reasons given in that makefile comment. However when everything is already up to date it should finish quickly (single-digit seconds or less) after printing something like:

Finished dev [unoptimized + debuginfo] target(s) in 1.24s

… and without printing any line that starts with "Compiling".

It would be good to have steps to reproduce the issue. Then Cargo’s debug logs should show what it thinks is out of date. (But I don’t remember at hand the exact invocation to obtain them, and they can be kinda hard to read.)

--
Simon Sapin