On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 3:09 AM Martin Thomson <m...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 5:50 PM Henri Sivonen <hsivo...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>>
>> Do we know what the situation looks like for connections to RFC 1918
>> addresses?
>
> That's a hard one to even speculate about, and that's all we really have
> there.  Our telemetry doesn't really allow us to gain insight into that.

I see.

> The big question being enterprise uses, where there is some chance of having
> names on servers in private address space.  Most use of 1918 outside of
> enterprise is likely still unsecured entirely.

I was thinking of home printer, NAS and router config UIs that are
unsecured in the sense of using self-signed certificates but that
still use TLS, so that TLS matters for practical compatibility. I
don't know of real examples of devices that both use TLS exclusively
and don't support TLS 1.2. (My printer redirects http to https with
self-signed cert but supports TLS 1.2.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@mozilla.com