On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 6:12 AM Christian Holler <chol...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Furthermore, data races are undefined behavior and can lead to
> unforeseeable code behavior once compilers exploit this fact for better
> optimizations. We have evidence that data races can cause intermittent
> crashes and use-after-free memory safety violations

Although Christian is not emphasizing that last point, I'd like to. We have
seen these exploited in the past. Just because something is a race and hard
for us to test (absent TSAN) that doesn't stop an attacker from running
that race over and over until they "win" -- no skin off their noses, it's
the victim's CPU doing the work.

-Dan Veditz