I believe that this is the behavior specified by the CSSWG as well. From
the spec <https://drafts.csswg.org/css-images-4/#cross-fade-function>:

> In particular, this means that `cross-fade(white 50%, transparent 50%)`
will produce a partially-transparent solid white image. (Rather than a
partially-transparent gray, which is what you’d get if you averaged the
opaque white and transparent black pixels in non-premultiplied space.)

Is that what you're pointing out? If not, if you could clarify I'd
appreciate it so that we can make sure our implementations are consistent.