The soft freeze is over, the change has been enabled for a few weeks on Nightly, and so far I've only seen progressions due to this change, so I think there's no reason to keep it Nightly-only.

I've filed bug 1694146 to turn the pref on everywhere, so lacking objections or regressions due to the original change it should ship in Firefox 88.

 -- Emilio