On 16/04/14 09:52 PM, Radu Hociung wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I believe the presence of Startcom's root CA enables much of the Internet
> user population to be MITM'd via pkeys leaked (due to the Heartbleed bug),
> whose owners won't pay Startcom to revoke their respective certs.
>
> The decision to not revoke is an economic one for most customers of the "Free
> StartSSL cert", and even if those customers change pkeys and switch to other
> CA's for their certificates, the users of their websites remain at risk until
> the StartSSL certs expire.
>
> In this case, Startcom's business model indirectly puts a lot of end users at
> risk of MITM, and thus makes it incompatible with their goal of securing
> communications.
>
> IMO, the way to plug this gaping hole is to remove Startcom's CA from the
> list of trusted issuers.
>
> Such an action would break a lot of websites, potentially causing more harm
> than allowing some of these sites to be MITM'ed. But knowingly allowing
> (possibly  widespread) MITM does not seem like a good alternative either, and
> would further erode general population's trust in SSL.
>
> Thank you,
> Radu.

There's too much impact from removing a widely used CA from the trust
store. It's not really feasible, unless they do something horrifically
bad. It's a lot more feasible to keep it around so sites continue to
work over "secure" connections, but without showing users either a green
lock or shinier green EV lock.