On 24/06/2014 11:51, Rob Stradling wrote:
This intermediate should have been automatically installed in the
sender's email software as part of the installation process for your
free S/MIME cert.  Then, whenever you send a signed email, this
intermediate should be automatically attached to the S/MIME signature so
that recipients can successfully validate your certificate.

Must have been user (my) error. I sent a test message signed with the cert, and the recipient validated the cert correctly. It must not have been done right the first time.

Thanks, Rob and Kurt, for your help.