On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 08:16:42PM -0700, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 8/10/2014 4:09 PM, Matt Palmer wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 09, 2014 at 04:53:46PM -0700, David E. Ross wrote:
> >> Anyone wishing to argue this issue further -- to argue in favor of
> >> implementing a scheme to encourage all Web sites to be HTTPS with site
> >> certificates -- should first read
> >> <http://www.2rosenthals.net/wordpress/googles-https-everywhere-initiative-not-so-fast-994/>.
> >>  The blogger is a certificate reseller and also a computer systems
> >> integrator.  Thus, he is a professional in the area of computer systems,
> >> including security.
> >
> > How do you get from "resells certificates and bolts parts together to "he is
> > a professional in [...] security"?  I won't deny that he is in the computer
> > systems profession (in the very precise definition of "for a livelihood"),
> > but beyond that, you're drawing an *exceptionally* long bow.
>
> I was a computer systems integrator for over 30 years.  I fully
> understand what "integrator" means.  In my career, sopftware integration
> often included dealing with secure systems and how they were made secure.

"Dealing with" != "competent to assess and recommend".  I deal with the
electrical system in my house, by virtue of using it.  Doesn't mean I'm a
professional electrican.

> Rosenthal is also a reseller of X.509 subscriber certificates, which
> should mean he understands Internet security.

How do you figure?  Being a reseller of SSL certs just means that you're
taking people's money and giving them someone else's certificates.  Even if
a reseller "should" understand Internet security (which isn't the case), is
there any evidence to suggest that he does understand Internet security?

> Otherwise, how is he allowed to sell such certificates?

Who assesses his competence, and is capable of prohibiting him (with
meaningful sanctions) if he is not, in fact, competent?

> Add those two concepts together.

My calculator laughed at me, muttering something about "apples and oranges".
I wonder what that means?

- Matt