----- Original Message -----
> From: "Phillip Hallam-Baker" <ph...@hallambaker.com>
> To: "Gervase Markham" <g...@mozilla.org>

I'd say that this is purely CA problem.

Since the short lived certs are supposed to be a replacement for the
revocation checking, using the same key for those certs is not a problem.

As such, the CA may just re-sign the certificate on a daily basis and
publish it in a non-obvious directory (e.g. SHA-1 hash of the certificate
public key) if they don't want to make it easy to compute how many
certificate they issue. Then the server downloads the certificate over
HTTP, FTP, or gets it in email, validates if it matches the key it has,
validates the signature and issuer and then starts serving it to clients.

If you want to use new key for every certificate you'll have to use
Simple Certificate Enrollment Protocol (SCEP), Certificate Management
Protocol (CMP) or something similar.

So it is possible to have a full spectrum between trivial and very complex
as far as certificate re-issuance and management goes. I don't think it
is good idea to mandate one specific implementation over another...

--
Regards,
Hubert Kario