On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 01:08:13PM -0500, fhw...@gmail.com wrote:
> So what is the reason to use HSTS over a server initiated redirect? Seems
> to me the latter would provide greater security whereas the former is easy
> to bypass.

On the contrary, HSTS is much harder to bypass, because the browser
remembers the HSTS setting for an extended period of time.  While first use
is still vulnerable to a downgrade attack under HSTS, it's only *one* use,
whereas the browser is vulnerable to redirect filtering on *every* use.  If
an attacker has enough access to the network to be able to strip the HSTS
header, they also have enough access to be able to block the
server-initiated redirect to HTTPS.

- Matt