-- Man Ho

On 1/29/2015 7:10 AM, Jeremy Rowley wrote:
> Some initial thoughts:
>
> 1) Membership in the CAB Forum is not required for a CA to commit to
> complying with the BR, and if non-membership avoids any obligation to comply
> with the BRs, I think you'll quickly see a mass exodus from the group.  No
> member of the CAB Forum is bound to its requirements by agreement or through
> participation.  Instead, the requirements are only imposed by the browsers
> are part of their root programs.
The question is only whether a CA can have their Webtrust audit
statement indicate their commitment to comply with the BRs, rather than
putting the commitment to comply statement in the CP/CPS. Therefore, the
CA is still required to comply with BR according to Webtrust audit.
> 2) The goal of Section 8.3 is for the CA to inform the public about which
> certs are being issued in compliance with the BRs and which are not.  It's
> not a marketing requirement.  It's a technical requirement to provide relying
> parties (and browsers) information about how the CA operates. Section 8.3
> basically requires the CA to assert that it is doing the MINIMUM required to
> issue certs. Any CA unwilling to assert this should not be issuing trusted
> certs.
The CA's assertion to issue certificate in accordance to BR is REQUIRED
by Webtrust audit anyway. The assertion is also publicly disclosed with
the audit report. Again, the question is only whether a CA should put a
statement in the CP/CPS as section 8.3 required. If yes, it is a
marketing requirement, because not aware of other audit requirements or
standardization bodies that have such requirement, e.g. Webtrust, ETSI,
even Mozilla's CP itself.
> 3) Every CA should comply with the latest version of BRs.  CAs who are so
> inflexible that they can't keep up with the "minor" changes made by the CAB
> Forum really shouldn't be issuing certs. Recent "minor" changes include
> deprecation of 1024 bit certs, SHA2 migration, deprecation of internal names,
> etc.  These are pretty important issues, all of which should be promptly
> implemented by CAs when adopted.
Exactly. Changes in BR may be "minor" or "important" from different
point of views. A CA may be in trouble of making a false statement in
its CP/CPS if the latest version of BR suddenly changed. Worst of all,
the BR is suddenly changed just before annual audit. But of course, the
"minor" changes that you have mentioned should have already fulfilled by
CAs.
> 4) Although relying parties might not frequently review audit reports and CPS
> docs, the Mozilla community does look at CPS docs.  Asserting compliance in
> the CPS lets the community know the criteria under which the CA is operated
> and permits them to compare the CPS to a third party standard.  Without the
> assertion, the CA isn't telling you anything about which policy they are
> operating under.
I think Mozilla community should have no problem looking at Webtrust
report and CA's assertion to which version of BR since it's required by
Mozilla's CP. I understand that Kathleen is somehow maintaining a
spreadsheet of CA audits, isn't it? This approach is actually a better
alternative.

> Obviously, I think an exception to this simple requirement is a mistake.
Obviously I don't think that section 8.3 of BR is a simple requirement.