On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 3:47 PM, Richard Barnes <rbar...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> It has been discovered that an intermediate CA under the CNNIC root has
> mis-issued certificates for some Google domains.  Full details can be found
> in blog posts by Google [0] and Mozilla [1].  We would like to discuss what
> further action might be necessary in order to maintain the integrity of the
> Mozilla root program, and the safety of its users.
>
> There have been incidents of this character before.  When ANSSI issued an
> intermediate that was used for MitM, name constraints were added to limit
> its scope to French government domains.  When TurkTrust mis-issued
> intermediate certificates, they changed their procedures and then they were
> required to be re-audited in order to confirm their adherence to those
> procedures.
>
> We propose to add name constraints to the CNNIC root in NSS to minimize the
> impact of any future mis-issuance incidents.  The “update procedures and
> re-audit” approach taken with TurkTrust is not suitable for this scenario.
> Because the mis-issuance was done by a customer of CNNIC, it’s not clear
> that updates to CNNIC’s procedures would address the risks that led to this
> mis-issuance.  We will follow up this post soon with a specific list of
> proposed constraints.
>
> Please send comments to this mailing list.  We would like to have a final
> plan by around 1 April.

Is there any data on this intermediate?

- Was it publicly disclosed as per Mozilla's unconstrained subordinate policy?

- Was it issued since their latest complete audit period ended and, if
not, did their auditor flag it?

- What response has their been from CNNIC on this issue?  How do they
explain issuing a subordinate CA certificate with a private key not
being on a HSM meeting the Baseline Requirements?

- How many other CA certs has CNNIC issued which are not stored on HSMs?