On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 8:19 PM, Matt Palmer <mpal...@hezmatt.org> wrote:

> To my mind, if a CA isn't trustworthy enough to be trusted to issue
> certificates for every site on the Internet, they shouldn't be trusted to
> issue certificates for *any* site on the Internet.  In the case of the
> proposed name constraints for CNNIC, it leaves an especially bad taste in
> my
> mouth, as it could easily be interpreted as "those Chinese people deserve
> what they get".

While I liked (and still like) Richard Barnes' original name constraint
proposal, part of the thing that made it sensical to me is that it's not
about *imposing* restrictions outside of a CA's intended model, but about
*describing* them.

You can argue that a government CA which might want some extra freedom to
publish outside of its government-owned TLDs could be respectfully
disagreed with, but for a CA like CNNIC that is ostensibly not a government
CA and may want the ability to issue to anyone in the world who wishes to
pay them -- you're going to make a value judgment on whether they should be
able to do that?

I agree with Matt that if you just don't trust them, then don't trust them
-- why would the Chinese population deserve an untrustworthy CA?

-- Eric

konklone.com | @konklone <https://twitter.com/konklone>