All,

It has been brought to my attention that we do not have a documented procedure or policy about how to transfer a root certificate from one CA to another.

Do we need to add expectations about root cert transfers to Mozilla's CA Certificate Policy?

I think, at the minimum, we should add information about our expectations to one of our process wiki pages, or maybe this needs its own wiki page?

Here's what I usually tell CAs when they ask:

1) I recommend creating a transfer agreement and have it reviewed by the auditors for both the current and the new CA.

2) New cert issuance (at the current CA's site) should be stopped before the transfer begins.

3) There should be an audit performed at the current CA's site to confirm when the root certificates is ready for transfer.

4) Before the new CA begins issuing certs in the transferred CA cert hierarchy, there should be an audit performed at the new CA's site to confirm that the transfer was successful and that the root cert is ready to resume issuance.

5) The regular annual audit statements are still expected to happen within a timely manner, or the root cert may be removed.

6) Keep the Mozilla CA Certificate Module Owner appraised of the status of these steps, and inform immediately if a problem occurs.

I will appreciate your thoughtful and constructive input on this topic.

Kathleen