On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 9:15 PM, Matt Palmer <mpal...@hezmatt.org> wrote:

> I disagree that "we, the browsers and standards bodies of the Internet"
> have
> very different leverage.  In either case, if a CA misbehaves, their root
> certs can be pulled from the trust store (or otherwise neutered).  That
> doesn't change because the CA is run by a corporation or a government.

Except that corporations and governments have totally different options
available as responses to this threat. A government without a trusted CA
has many paths to ensuring its root certificate appears on the browsers
and/or OSes of computers in its country.

There are also multiple trusted root programs, and a government can mandate
the use of the one that works with them most collaboratively.

A government may also view the removal of their root certificate as less
severe than a corporation would. For a commercial CA, the removal of their
root certificate is death (at least to their certficate business). For a
government, it may be only an inconvenience, and may not lead to the
shutdown of any operation depending on it. There are no market forces with
governments.

A commercial CA caught betraying sites or users may be abandoned by the
market, or its owners sued or even imprisoned. A government CA caught doing
something similar is unlikely to be held to the same account.

You're right, there *is* leverage. The nature and strength of that leverage
is different.

-- Eric

konklone.com | @konklone <https://twitter.com/konklone>