On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 07:32:43PM +0100, Jakob Bohm wrote:
> On 03/12/2015 11:25, Gervase Markham wrote:
> >On 30/11/15 22:37, Jakob Bohm wrote:
> >>1.2. Certificates that are moved from a server software implementation
> >>that does do OCSP stapling to another that doesn't.  In particular,
> >>such cases should not lead to "certificate pinning errors" or any
> >>similar failure modes.
> >
> >You'll need to get a new cert if you have one which has must-staple in
> >it and you want to use it on a webserver which does not support stapling.
>
> I wonder what the benefit is then (other than some CAs being able to force
> their customers to reduce load on their OCSP servers).
>
> Specifically: Regular stapling already provides the load and
> performance benefits when used.  Non-stapling would result in an OCSP
> or CRL check without the change and/or without the extension, while it
> would result in instant failure with the change *and* the extension.

You're assuming a world in which OCSP or CRL checks are done as a matter of
course.  They're not, because they're largely worthless (OCSP is not
perfectly reliable, thus preventing hard-fail semantics, and CRLs are huge,
unwieldy, and thus rarely updated by clients).  Thus, a certificate without
must-staple is able to be used by someone who has acquired the corresponding
private key *long* after it has been revoked.  On the other hand, a
must-staple certificate isn't going to last past the OCSP response lifetime.

- Matt