Some more thoughts (my previous substantive comments are awaiting moderation
because I foolishly sent them before subscribing)

1. Historically other CAs in this family have issued certificates which abuse
wildcards, like this:

https://crt.sh/?id=16640133&opt=cablint

Over the several years this request has been floating, no-one from Symantec /
Verisign mentioned these violations. Can we expect the same from the root which
is to be granted EV in this request? Or has Symantec since put in place an
effective control against this sort of wildcard abuse? If so, when?

Presumably it is only a coincidence that KPMG are both Symantec's auditors and
that they receive such non-conformant wildcard certificates only from Symantec
even though they deal with several other CAs?

2. After changes negotiated in the Bugzilla ticket, the CA Hierarchy
information currently reads: "S/MIME certs may also be issued in this CA
hierarchy."

Compared to the situation for SSL and Code Signing where internally operated
SubCAs are specified, this is very vague. Why? What technical controls are in
place to ensure that systems which issue S/MIME certs "in this CA hierarchy"
are not capable of issuing an SSL server certificate ?