On 13/09/2016 16:56, Peter Bowen wrote:
On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 7:53 AM, Ryan Sleevi <r...@sleevi.com> wrote:
We also see a variety of domains using certs from either for purposes that are
ostensibly not relevant to browsers - a frequent dead give-away is a cert for
autodiscover.[example.com] - which is an Exchange AutoConfiguration server not
used by browsers - and mail.[example.com]. I would assert we can be reasonably
confident that critical services should generally not be impacted if such a
cert was not included.

I would be careful reading too much into server names.
mail.[example.com] might host web based email access.  For example,
I'm typing this into a site called mail.google.com :)

Also please beware that all/most of the Mozilla certificate trust and
checking code is also used in Mozilla's mail client Thunderbird, to
check certificates for IMAP, POP and SMTP servers.

Enjoy

Jakob