Blocking Trust for WoSign CA Free SSL Certificate G2

Certificate Authority WoSign experienced multiple control failures in their
certificate issuance processes for the WoSign CA Free SSL Certificate G2
intermediate CA. Although no WoSign root is in the list of Apple trusted roots,
this intermediate CA used cross-signed certificate relationships with StartCom
and Comodo to establish trust on Apple products.

In light of these findings, we are taking action to protect users in an
upcoming security update.  Apple products will no longer trust the WoSign CA
Free SSL Certificate G2 intermediate CA.

To avoid disruption to existing WoSign certificate holders and to allow their
transition to trusted roots, Apple products will trust individual existing
certificates issued from this intermediate CA and published to public
Certificate Transparency log servers by 2016-09-19. They will continue to be
trusted until they expire, are revoked, or are untrusted at Apple’s discretion.

As the investigation progresses, we will take further action on WoSign/StartCom
trust anchors in Apple products as needed to protect users.

Regards,

Apple Root Certificate Program