On 3 October 2016 at 19:24, Jakob Bohm <jb-mozi...@wisemo.com> wrote:
> On 03/10/2016 20:41, Kyle Hamilton wrote:
>> 2. There is only One Certificate Path that can be proven in TLS, which
>> prevents risk management by end-entities.
>>

> Are you sure, I thought the standard TLS protocol transmitted a *set*
> of certificates in which the client could/should search for a chain
> leading to a client trusted CA.

I've seen interesting bugs result from client (e.g. browser)
processing of the 'bag of certs' approach - but these bugs are
security vulnerabilities and should be handled correctly. So I don't
see any reason why one could not send multiple chains right now, and
have a client correctly process it.  Shouldn't be too hard to actually
test with Firefox or whatever. Just get a couple chains from different
CAs and start distrusting roots locally...

I guess the main thing I'd wonder about is if a client has a root
marked as untrusted, it may build a chain to that root for the
purposes of *not* trusting it. (As opposed to building a chain to a
completely unknown root.)

Not that I think this is a good idea.

-tom