On 13/02/17 12:23, Gervase Markham wrote:
> The GoDaddy situation raises an additional issue.
> What can be done about the potential future issue (which might happen
> with any large CA) of the need to untrust a popular intermediate?
> Suggestions welcome.

Reviewing the discussion, I unfortunately don't see any workable
solutions proposed yet. I think AIA chasing is a red herring. Jeremy's
engagement on intermediate rotation was illuminating, but it seems to me
that having multiple intermediates in play at the same time over an
extended period is very likely not to solve the problem, because any
issuance problem would cut across them all.

If customers tend to renew annually, one could imagine a "January
intermediate", "February intermediate" and so on, and one uses the
former every January, etc. This might reduce the need for an
intermediate change when an EE cert changes, as I have sympathy for the
view that in today's world changing intermediate does make the process a
little more error prone. (Although it shouldn't, and that's a technology
fail I hope can be addressed.) Then, if you have an issuance problem
which persisted for a month but which has led to a situation where you
can't trust anything off the intermediates used during those times, only
1/6th of your outstanding certs from that root are at risk of needing
immediate change rather than all of them.

I guess the question is: is it worth it? Are the chances of this proving
useful in an actual scenario high enough compared to the cost and hassle
of imposing such a scheme on all CAs? If we decide to dis-trust the
intermediate under such a scheme, is the CA practically as stuffed as it
would be if it had just used one intermediate? :-)

Gerv