1.0 is not the definitive version any more.  As of 2015‐04‐01, Section
6.3.2 prohibits validity periods longer than 39 months.

-----Original Message-----
From: dev-security-policy
[mailto:dev-security-policy-bounces+jeremy.rowley=digicert.com@lists.mozilla
.org] On Behalf Of Daniel Cater via dev-security-policy
Sent: Saturday, March 4, 2017 1:02 PM
To: mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Maximum validity of pre-BR certificates

Hello,

Version 1.0 of the Baseline Requirements stated that:

"Certificates issued after the Effective Date MUST have a Validity Period no
greater than 60 months".

The effective date for this version was 2012-07-01
(https://cabforum.org/wp-content/uploads/Baseline_Requirements_V1.pdf).

I noticed that cablint has a warning stating: "W: Pre-BR certificates should
not be more than 120 months in validity"
(https://github.com/awslabs/certlint/blob/68a2c46f5146025910a0e17f2f34351e3b
4b8802/lib/certlint/cablint.rb#L328).

Was this a technical limitation or a policy of some kind? I can't find any
reference for it.

Any insight the guidelines, rules, or common practices relating to maximum
certificate lifetime prior to the Baseline Requirements would be
appreciated.

Thank you.