On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 10:57 AM, Steve Medin via dev-security-policy <

> [...]
> CrossCert, but also the adequacy of E&Y KR's WebTrust for CAs Baseline and
> Network Security audits. This episode also reinforced that we need to more
> closely monitor and review the scope, methodology, and practices of
> external auditors.
>
> Remediation
> 1. Symantec fully terminated CrossCert as an RA partner. They no longer
> participate in the authentication process or issuance of publicly trusted
> SSL/TLS certificates.
> 2. Symantec has hired a team of Korean speaking authentication personnel
> who have completed the requisite training and now independently process all
> new orders from this market.
> 3. Symantec is in the process of fully and independently revalidating
> active SSL/TLS certificates previously approved by CrossCert, and if
> necessary, revoking and replacing certificates if we detect any errors. As
> we posted in response to the assertion about reusing RA validation in
> m.d.s.policy, we reiterate that we are not doing this.  For CrossCert, we
> are validating each existing certificate as if it was a new request.
> 4. Symantec announced the decision to wind down the RA program for
> publicly trusted SSL/TLS.
> 5. Symantec is in the process of reviewing 100% of the authentication
> records for the active SSL/TLS certificates approved and issued by
> Certisign, Certsuperior, and Certisur. If we become aware of a certificate
> that is misleading, we follow the Baseline Requirements regarding
> revocation.
>
> It has been suggested that the issues identified above and those
> associated with Issue V warrant immediate revocation of all certificates
> issued by each of these RAs. Symantec disagrees with that assessment.
> Revocation by a CA of certificates, outside of a customer request, can be
> materially disruptive to the individuals and the organizations that rely on
> them, and so should be reserved for cases where there are clear security
> risks.
>
> In the case of CrossCert, Symantec immediately revoked the clearly
> problematic certificates mis-issued for testing. With respect to individual
> certificates, the key additional issue identified with CrossCert related to
> proper record-keeping.  Accordingly, using a risk-informed approach,
> Symantec is fully re-validating these certificates.
>
> In the cases of Certisign, Certsuperior, and Certisur, we relied on at
> least one unqualified audit for their operations. With respect to their
> individual certificates, there was no evidence of any problems with the
> certificates they approved and issued. Accordingly, and again using a
> risk-informed approach, Symantec is reviewing all of these certificates,
> which amounts to conducting an audit with 100% sampling.
>
> Symantec will provide updates to the community regarding our revalidation
> of active CrossCert-issued SSL/TLS certificates and our review of the other

Hi Steve,

A few followup questions.

1) On the basis of the controls Symantec described, at no point was any
mention made of Symantec performing sampling audits to ensure their RA
partners complied with either the RA partner's CP/CPS or Symantec's CP/CPS.
  a) Is it fair to conclude that no such examination if done?
  b) If no such examination is done, why not?
  c) Does Symantec plan to perform any sampling audits its other RA
partners?

2) Symantec states "We requested independent WebTrust audit reports from
RAs and assessed them for material findings pursuant to BR 8.4 regarding
WebTrust audited Delegated Third Parties."
  a) For what years did you request an audits? That is, has Symantec
requested such audits since 2011? If not, when was the first year Symantec
requested such audits?
  b) Please describe the process and procedures Symantec employees perform
in order to determine the appropriate status of the auditor.
  c) Please describe the process and procedures Symantec employees perform
in order to determine that the RA partner's CP/CPS conforms with Symantec's
CP/CPS
  d) Please describe what procedures were in place when an RA partner
changed its CP/CPS
  e) Please describe what procedures were in place when Symantec changed
its CP/CPS.

3) Symantec states "Symantec supports Certification Authority
Authorization, putting control of authorized CAs in the hands of customers."
  a) Why did you mention this, given that Symantec has acknowledged that
its RA partners performed domain validation independent of Symantec.
  b) Do you agree that this statement is materially misleading in the
context in which it is provided, namely the discussion of RA security
controls, and may otherwise be inappropriately interpreted as Symantec
suggesting its RA partners were performing an activity that they may not
have been done?

4) Symantec states "Topics include BR changes, CPS changes, process changes
resulting from industry incidents regardless of the CA involved, and a
review of Symantec's procedures that extend the Baseline Requirements."
  a) Did Symantec update its RA partners regarding the set of Symantec
issues related to the Test Certificate Misissuance (Issue D)?
  b) Was this the same process used to ensure employee compliance, which
was identified deficient with respect to Issue D?
  c) What steps did Symantec take, in response to Issue D, to inform its RA
partners about these issues?
  d) What steps did Symantec take, in response to Issue D, to review its RA
partners activities, similar to that of its employees activities?
  e) What steps did Symantec take, in response to Issue D, to review its
APIs granted to RA partners, similar to the test tool used to cause
misissuance?
  f) What other evidence or facts are you able to share that could
establish Symantec as a competent, reliable, or trustworthy CA partner,
given that the current evidence shared meaningfully suggests it is not any
of these.

5) Symantec states "Symantec is in the process of fully and independently
revalidating active SSL/TLS certificates previously approved by CrossCert,
and if necessary, revoking and replacing certificates if we detect any
errors."
  a) Does Symantec believe this process is compliant with the Baseline
Requirements and Symantec's CP/CPS?
  b) If Symantec believes this process is consistent with the Baseline
Requirements, please specifically reference the sections that permit this.
  c) If not, is Symantec requesting an exception to their obligations under
the Baseline Requirements to promptly revoke these certificates within 24
hours?
  d) Has Symantec clearly stated that request as such - a request to
violate the Baseline Requirements - rather than as a statement of intent?

6) Symantec states "Symantec is in the process of reviewing 100% of the
authentication records for the active SSL/TLS certificates approved and
issued by Certisign, Certsuperior, and Certisur."
  a) Does Symantec believe this process is compliant with the Baseline
Requirements and Symantec's CP/CPS?
  b) If Symantec believes this process is consistent with the Baseline
Requirements, please specifically reference the sections that permit this.
  c) If not, is Symantec requesting an exception to their obligations under
the Baseline Requirements to promptly revoke these certificates within 24
hours?
  d) Has Symantec clearly stated that request as such - a request to
violate the Baseline Requirements - rather than as a statement of intent?

7) Symantec states "It has been suggested that the issues identified above
and those associated with Issue V warrant immediate revocation of all
certificates issued by each of these RAs. Symantec disagrees with that
assessment. "
  a) Please provide the reference to the Baseline Requirements to support
this conclusion.

8) Symantec states that it believes revocation "should be reserved for
cases where there are clear security risks."
  a) Please explain how this belief is consistent with the Baseline
Requirements, Section 9.6.3, Item 8.
  b) Please explain how this belief is consistent with the Baseline
Requirements, Section 4.9.1.1, Item 5.
  c) Please explain how this belief is consistent with the Baseline
Requirements, Section 4.9.1.1, Item 9.
  d) Is it fair to conclude that Symantec's belief is that it does not have
to follow the Baseline Requirements that it disagrees with?
  e) Please provide any supporting evidence related to this belief that
would be useful for Relying Parties to assess whether Symantec is competent
and trustworthy, as the current evidence suggests it is not.