On 20/04/2017 21:15, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
Gerv,

I must admit, I'm not sure I understand what you consider irrelevant
reasons for 4.9.1 in the context of e-mail addresses.

The only one I can think of is
"7. The CA is made aware that a Wildcard Certificate has been used to
authenticate a fraudulently misleading
subordinate Fully-Qualified Domain Name;"

But that's because such e-mail CAs are effectively wildcards (e.g. they can
issue for subdomains, unless a nameconstraint includes a leading . to
indicate for host not domain)

I believe this is about end certificates, not constrained Intermediary
CA certificates.

But given that e-mail addresses include Domain portions (after all, that is
the definition, localpart@domain), and Fully-Qualified Domain Name doesn't
imply a sAN of type dNSName, this all seems... ok as is?

Technically, the part after the @ could also be a bang!path, though
this is rare these days.

So maybe some wording in the Mozilla e-mail end cert requirements for
how the phrase "Domain Name" in the TLS cert BRs maps to rfc822-names.

Enjoy

Jakob