It makes perfect sense if the game plan is to force continued delays of
decisions on the part of root programs! Which appears to be exactly what is
happening. After all, wait long enough, and it can be claimed that all possibly
bad things would be expired, so don't distrust us, m'ok.

I think the idea of giving Symantec a path to keep 27 month certificates, e.g.
Coupled to the standup of a new PKI, makes a lot of sense, since going to a new
PKI would help get rid of the risks associated with the present PKI, and make a
big player a leader in making shorter lifetimes a reality (In the absence of a
new PKI it would seem 9 mo or 13 mo validity is needed to reduce ecosystem
risk).