From: Gervase Markham via dev-security-policy
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2017 7:56 AM
To: mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Reply To: Gervase Markham
Subject: Policy 2.5 Proposal: Require all CAs to have appropriate network
security

At the moment, the CAB Forum's Network Security guidelines are audited
as part of an SSL BR audit. This means that CAs or sub-CAs which only do
email don't technically have to meet them. However, they also have a
number of deficiencies, and the CAB Forum is looking at replacing them
with something better, ideally maintained by another organization. So
just mandating that everyone follow them doesn't seem like the best thing.

Nevertheless, I think it's valuable to make it clear in our policy that
all CAs are expected to follow best practices for network security. I
suggest this could be done by adding a bullet to section 2.1:

"CAs whose certificates are included in Mozilla's root program MUST:
* follow industry best practice for securing their networks, for example
by conforming to the CAB Forum Network Security Guidelines or a
successor document;"

This provides flexibility in exactly what is done, while making it
reasonably clear that leaving systems unpatched for 5 years would not be
acceptable.

This is: https://github.com/mozilla/pkipolicy/issues/70

-------

This is a proposed update to Mozilla's root store policy for version
2.5. Please keep discussion in this group rather than on Github. Silence
is consent.

Policy 2.4.1 (current version):
https://github.com/mozilla/pkipolicy/blob/2.4.1/rootstore/policy.md
Update process: