On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 5:49 AM, Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 4:35 AM, Gervase Markham via dev-security-policy <
> dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
>
>> On 31/05/17 18:02, Matthew Hardeman wrote:
>> > Perhaps some reference to technologically incorrect syntax (i.e. an
>> incorrectly encoded certificate) being a mis-issuance?
>>
>> Well, if it's so badly encoded Firefox doesn't recognise it, we don't
>> care too much (apart from how it speaks to incompetence). If Firefox
>> does recognise it, then I'm not sure "misissuance" is the right word if
>> all the data is correct.
>>

> I would encourage you to reconsider this, or perhaps I've misunderstood
> your position. To the extent that Mozilla's mission includes "The
> effectiveness of the Internet as a public resource depends upon
> interoperability (protocols, data formats, content) ....", the
> well-formedness and encoding directly affects Mozilla users (sites working
> in Vendors A, B, C but not Mozilla) and the broader ecosystem (sites
> Mozilla users are protected from that vendors A, B, C are not).
>
> I think considering this in the context of "CA problematic practices" may
> help make this clearer - they are all things that speak to either
> incompetence or confusion (and a generous dose of Hanlon's Razor) - but
> their compatibility issues presented both complexity and risk to Mozilla
> users.
>
> So I would definitely encourage that improper application of the protocols
> and data formats constitutes misissuance, as they directly affect
> interoperability and indirectly affect security :)

I think the policy needs to be carefully thought out here, as there is
no limitation to what can be signed with the key used to sign
certificates.   What is a malformed certificate to one person might be
a valid document to someone else.  Maybe you could disallow signing
things that are not valid ASN.1 DER?

Thanks,
Peter