Hi

Buypass received the problem report at 2017-09-12 00:06 and started
investigating early this morning.

After investigating what happened we identified an error in our system solution
when we have a CAA RR lookup failure. In this case, the DNS CAA RR lookup timed
out several times and we mis-interpreted this as permission to issue, without
verifying the that the domain was DNSSEC signed. This is not permitted
according to BR (see ballot paragraph [1]) and we will fix this as soon as
possible.

We agree that this certificate should not have been issued and we have revoked
the certificate.

Regards
Mads

-----Original Message-----
From: dev-security-policy
[mailto:dev-security-policy-bounces+mads.henriksveen=buypass...@lists.mozilla.org]
 On Behalf Of Quirin Scheitle via dev-security-policy
Sent: tirsdag 12. september 2017 00:24
To: mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: (Mis)-Issuance on CAA Timeout in DNSSEC signed zone

Hi,

inspired by the ballot paragraph [1], I set up a domain that is fully DNSSEC
signed [2], but does not reply to CAA queries (timeout).

I could obtain certificates for this domain from Buypass and Startcom [3].
Other CAs (RapidSSL, GeoTrust, LetsEncrypt) have refused to issue, and GoDaddy
and Certum have been stuck in "Pending" for days and will likely not issue.

Per my interpretation, and per the discussion in the other CAA/DNSSSEC thread,
I believe those should not have been issued. I have reported this to the
issuing CAs.

What do you think?

Kind regards
Quirin

[1] CAs are permitted to treat a record lookup failure as permission to issue
if:

    the failure is outside the CA’s infrastructure;
    the lookup has been retried at least once; and
    the domain’s zone does not have a DNSSEC validation chain to the ICANN root.

[2] https://dnssec-debugger.verisignlabs.com/crossbear.org
[3] https://crt.sh/?q=crossbear.org