On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy <

> Depending on the prevalence of non-public CAs (not listed in public
> indexes) based on openssl (this would be a smallish company thing more
> than a big enterprise thing), it might be useful to have *two* fixed
> salt lengths for each combination of hash algorithm and RSA key length:
>
> 1. The salt length=hash length case previously suggested.
>
> 2. The salt length=largest permitted by RSA key length and hash length
> (OpenSSL default).
>
> Each of these could still be defined in a memcmp-able way.

Yes. You could add flexibility if there was both data to support it and
justification for the added complexity (passed on to all consumers).

I think there is a tremendously high bar to suggest such things are good,
and I don't think it's much useful to discuss what's possible without
having a position in favor (and data to support) or against (and data to
support).