On Sat, 9 Dec 2017 18:20:56 +0000
Tim Hollebeek via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

> First, third parties who are *not* CAs can run key generation and
> escrow services, and then the third party service can apply for a
> certificate for the key, and deliver the certificate and the key to a
> customer.  I'm not sure how this could be prevented.  So if this
> actually did end up being a Mozilla policy, the practical effect
> would be that SSL keys can be generated by third parties and
> escrowed, *UNLESS* that party is trusted by Mozilla. This seems .
> backwards, at best.

I'm actually astonished that CAs would _want_ to be doing this.

A CA like Let's Encrypt can confidently say that it didn't lose the
subscriber's private keys, because it never had them, doesn't want them.
If there's an incident where the Let's Encrypt subscriber's keys go
"walk about" we can start by looking at the subscriber - because that's
where the key started.

In contrast a CA which says "Oh, for convenience and security we've
generated the private keys you should use" can't start from there. We
have to start examining their generation and custody of the keys. Was
generation predictable? Were the keys lost between generation and
sending? Were they mistakenly kept (even though the CA can't possibly
have any use for them) after sending? Were they properly secured during
sending?

So many questions, all trivially eliminated by just not having "Hold
onto valuable keys that belong to somebody else" as part of your
business model.

> Second, although I strongly believe that in general, as a best
> practice, keys should be generated by the device/entity it belongs to
> whenever possible, we've seen increasing evidence that key generation
> is difficult and many devices cannot do it securely.

I do not have any confidence that a CA will do a comprehensively better
job. I don't doubt they'd _try_ but the problem is Debian were trying,
we have every reason to assume Infineon were trying. Trying wasn't
enough.

If subscribers take responsibility for generating keys we benefit from
heterogeneity, and the subscriber gets to decide directly to choose
better quality implementations versus lower costs. Infineon's "Fast
Prime" was optional, if you were happy with a device using a proven
method that took a few seconds longer to generate a key, they'd sell
you that. Most customers, it seems, wanted faster but more dangerous.

Aside from the Debian weak keys (which were so few you could usefully
enumerate all the private keys for yourself) these incidents tend to
just make the keys easier to guess. This is bad, and we aim to avoid
it, but it's not instantly fatal. But losing a customer keys to a bug
in your generation, dispatch or archive handling probably _is_
instantly fatal, and it's unnecessary when you need never have those
keys at all.

Nick.