On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 7:10 AM, Adrian R. via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
> since it's a webserver running on the local machine and is using that
> certificate key/pair, i think that someone more capable than me can easily
> extract the key from it.
>
> From my point of view as an observer it's plainly obvious that the private
> key must be on my local machine too, even if i haven't actually got to the
> key itself yet.

The problem is that this is not true.  I've not investigated this
software at all, but there are two designs I have seen in other
software:

1) TCP Proxy: A pure TCP proxy could be forwarding all the packets to
another host which has the key.

2) "Keyless" SSL: https://www.cloudflare.com/ssl/keyless-ssl/ - they
key is on a different host from the content

I'm sure there are other designs which would end up with the same
result: 127.0.0.1 does not have the private key.  Given this,
conjecture that there "must" be a private key compromise seems
exaggerated.

Thanks,
Peter