Unique
> IDentifiers) require no central registry. UUIDs are specified in RFC 4122.
>
> Modern X509 uses serial number as both a source of randomness and a unique
> identifier. Unfortunately, trying to solve for uniqueness doesn't absolve
you
> from needing quality randomness. The reason for the "at least 64-bits of
> random" requirement is to add entropy to the tbsCertificate structure to
make
> hash collision attacks more difficult. UUIDv1 is (almost) entirely
predictable
> and thus not suitable for this. And if you have a good random source you
might
> as well just generate a long random serial which has a vanishingly small
> probability of collision.

The baseline requirements don't just require 64 bits of good randomness.
They
specifically require the use of a CSPRNG ("A random number generator
intended
for use in cryptographic system", the grammar error is in the BRs and the
original
ballot 164).

So things like UUIDs and MACs are clearly not compliant on their own, and
count
for zero bits, regardless of how unpredictable they may or may not be.

In fact, I noticed last month that there's no requirement that random
numbers
used for domain control validation come from a CSPRNG.  I intend to fix that
this month ... maybe I'll fix the grammar error while I'm at it.

-Tim