Hi,

On Tue, 09 Jan 2018 21:04:34 +0000
Nicholas Humfrey via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

> What is the correct way for them to achieve what they are trying to
> do?
>
> Would it be better to use a self-signed localhost certificate (same
> subject and
> issuer), generated individually on each machine it is installed on?

I covered this in detail in the last Bulletproof TLS Newsletter:
https://www.feistyduck.com/bulletproof-tls-newsletter/

Creating a local root on each host individually *with an individual
private key* is kinda okay. The cleaner solution is to connect via http
and the localhost IP (127.0.0.1), which should not throw mixed
contentwarnings - however not all browsers support that yet.

--
Hanno Böck
https://hboeck.de/

mail/jabber: ha...@hboeck.de
GPG: FE73757FA60E4E21B937579FA5880072BBB51E42
          • Re: DYMO Root ... Peter Gutmann via dev-security-policy
            • Re: DYMO ... Jonathan Rudenberg via dev-security-policy
              • Re: D... Peter Gutmann via dev-security-policy
              • Re: D... Jonathan Rudenberg via dev-security-policy
            • Re: DYMO ... Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy
              • Re: D... Peter Gutmann via dev-security-policy
              • Re: D... Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy
              • Re: D... Peter Gutmann via dev-security-policy
              • Re: D... Nicholas Humfrey via dev-security-policy
              • Re: D... mkatich--- via dev-security-policy
  • Re: DYMO Root CA installed by L... Hanno Böck via dev-security-policy