On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 6:17:34 PM UTC-6, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 5:53 PM, Matthew Hardeman <mharde...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > That, indeed, is a chilling picture.  I'd like to think the community's
> > response to any such stretch of the rules would be along the lines of "Of
> > course, you're entirely correct.  Technically this was permitted.  Oh, by
> > the way, we're pulling your roots, we've decided you're too clever to be
> > trusted."
> >

> GlobalSign proposed this as a new method -
> https://cabforum.org/pipermail/validation/2017-May/000553.html
> Amazon pointed out that .10 already permitted this -
> https://cabforum.org/pipermail/validation/2017-May/000557.html
>
> Your reaction means you must be one of the "worrywarts who treat
> certificate owners like criminals" though, in the words of Steve Medin of
> Symantec/Digicert -
> https://cabforum.org/pipermail/validation/2017-May/000554.html , who was
> also excited because of the 'brand stickiness' it would create (the term
> typically used to refer to the likelihood or difficulty for someone to
> switch to another, potentially more competent CA - in this case, due to the
> ease of the lower security)

Wow.  The economic incentives for behaving badly clearly were at work in those.

I think I am one of those worrywarts, in fact.

Also, I just reread and contemplated the .10 method's definition.  It's
lacking.  A legitimate definition of "on the authorization domain name" would
have clarified a normative reference for what accessing that  over TLS means
and likely would have included that the SNI needed to be the authorization
domain name.  As such, it's really just a tenuous land-grab that TLS-SNI-01 is
compliant with .10.

One of these days I need to sign the IPR waiver and join the cabforum mailing
list as an interested party.